Thursday, January 1, 2009

So Long 2008 - Welcome 2009









2008 just wasn't much of a year. Personally, we had injuries, surgeries, worries and accidents.
Socially, the whole world felt like it was caught in a vise and the grips were tightening.

I'm not a fool - I don't imagine everything will be instantly better now that we can write a new number at the end of the date. But damn, 2008 really was a year I'm glad to see go.

Handsome Significant Other and I tried to remember as many good things as we could from the old year - we had to really work to come up with them. We started grasping at straws...that illness didn't kill you, we got the car fixed after it rolled in the snow.

I'm approaching 2009 with the attitude I bring to painting a room - it's going to take a lot of work and I won't feel like doing it, but when it's done it'll be a vast improvement. In fact, in that spirit, today I intend to finish painting a room that's been half done for a couple of weeks now.

I've gotten to speak with some fascinating people in the past year and some of them have given me information that's going to help me as I work to improve my financial and professional situation. I've won some awards that make me look like I might be pretty good at what I do. I'm grateful.

I've done some good work in 2008 and maybe I'll get to go to another awards banquet. Maybe I'll get to shake hands with NY's governor again. I like him - he's a funny guy. Or maybe I'll be doing things I haven't even imagined yet.

Maybe my life will change dramatically - if so, I hope it's for the better. Or maybe it won't change much at all - in which case I hope it at least brings more ease.

I'm a Gemini, so if you buy into astrology, I'm not good at sticking with one thing for long. I've often thought it explains my lack of expertise in any one area. I get just good enough to get how something's done, then I want to learn something new. I've considered it a failing. Maybe I'll try to rethink that, and just consider myself a person of broad interests. And I'll try hard not to embrace change just for change's sake. I've at least learned that's not usually productive.

I just read about a great idea the folks who organize the Times Square New Year's celebration have had - they put out massive paper shredders in one place in the city a few days before the end of the year, and invite everyone to come and get rid of the old years' garbage. Old photos, old letters, any old junk you just want to say "good riddance" to. Start with a clean slate. I like that.

So I'll write that '9' at the end of the 200 on the date line, I'll keep my eyes and my mind open. There are plenty of people who will tell you what's ahead is gloom and doom. But we voted for change in 2008, and I'm willing to give this year a chance to see what it will allow. I guess that's my resolution for 2009....give it a chance.

Happy New Year - may 2009 be good to you.

No comments: