Friday, December 11, 2009

Pitchfork Mobs: The New Meme


The more I read, the more convinced I'm absolutely on target with my revelation that we have no middle and lower classes anymore - we have serfs and we have Corporate America. And it's not a thought unique to me - the angry people who are fed up with slaving for our corporate/government masters are known as Pitchfork Mobs. Man, there's a mental picture.

There does seem to be increasing news of violence. There have been questionable stories of Goldman Sachs executives buying pistols to protect themselves (stories that Bloomberg began and seem a little shaky on fact-checking). There are stories of attacks on individuals seen as involved in all this, which you can check out on the fine blog, Naked Capitalism.
It's worth reading not only the post, but the comments.

I'm sorry to hear that frustration and anger may be leading to violence. That's not the way I'd like to see the massive change we need occur. Dr. Martin Luther King proved that a peaceful show of mass dissent can make a difference. Ghandi did it as well. Mass marches are needed. A grassroots movement of angry people willing to call, to email, to visit their legislators over and over and over are required. People willing to speak out, to protest, to run for office - that's what we need.

Violence is an outburst, an expression of rage and frustration - and it poisons the people who do it.

That is not the kind of change we need.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You write some very cool, poignant stuff. More people should comment on it.

Mark me as one of your new readers. I'll try to comment as often as I can.

I read your blog every day.

Susan said...

Why thank you, Anon. It's incredible to me that anyone sees this - the Internet is such a weird world.
But comment away - always glad to get some feedback.

nocomme1 said...

"Mass marches are needed. A grassroots movement of angry people willing to call, to email, to visit their legislators over and over and over are required. People willing to speak out, to protest, to run for office - that's what we need."

Cool, because that's exactly what we've got. It is called the Tea Party movement. They are non-violent (huge rallies with no arrests!), even when union thugs beat them up and "activists" bar them from going into polling places! If you want their local number I'd be happy to find it for you!

Susan said...

I applaud the activist spirit of the Tea Party movement. But I don't agree with the change they want.

And well you know it. So thanks but no thanks.

But I'm curious - will you being watching Howard Zinn's The People Speak on Sunday?

http://howardzinn.org/default/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=103&Itemid=55

I think that may be one of those rare places where you and I agree - it's a Populist manifesto.

We part ways over where that change goes.

nocomme1 said...

"But I'm curious - will you being watching Howard Zinn's The People Speak on Sunday?"

Watch Marxist, 9/11 truther Howard Zinn and his millionaire buddies' latest anti-American propaganda extravaganza? Sorry, that night they're having a Leni Riefenstahl film festival and since it is more pro-American than Zinn and his rich posse are likely to be and Nazism has killed fewer people than Marxism I think I'll stick with the Leni show. The lesser of two evils, doncha know.